- Please bring your registration slip and an official photo ID with you to your first visit. For each donation after that, you will need the donor pass we issue you with.
- You must not have taken any painkillers or aspirin within the previous 24 hours.
- You must have had enough food and drink (at least 1.5 liters)..
- Plan to be there for 1.5 hours.
- We recommend that you go to the bathroom again before you donate.
- Please do not smoke for at least 1 hour before you donate.
- If possible, you should remain at the Plasma Donation Center for another 30 minutes after the donation.
- Please do not drive for 30 minutes after the donation.
- The compression bandage should be left on for at least 1 hour after the donation.
- You should not perform any strenuous physical activity for about 1–2 hours.
- Plasma donation is extremely safe. Only sterile, sealed disposable materials are used. The highest standards of hygiene are maintained at our Plasma Donation Centers.
- Automated plasmapheresis is a very gentle and safe procedure. Minor side effects may occur occasionally, including dizziness or a bruise at the injection site.
- Regular information about your health condition
- 25 € for your time compensation per donation
- Free Wi-Fi
- Your personal downtime – unwind in a relaxed atmosphere
- The good feeling that comes with saving lives
- Plasma donors save lives. Vitally important medications that improve patients’ lives are made from plasma.
- The demand for plasma is high and rising continuously. For example, more than 1200 plasma donations are needed to be able to provide one patient with hemophilia (a blood disorder) with the medications they need for one year.
- Your donation helps us meet the demand for all patients.
- Any healthy adult between 18 and 60 years old can register as a plasma donor and become a lifesaver. Our top priority is protecting the health of our plasma donors and the recipients of plasma products. You will therefore be asked to answer some questions about your state of health and your medical history, and you will undergo a medical examination. This procedure, combined with subsequent laboratory testing, ensures that we can accurately assess whether you meet the conditions.
- A registered donor can donate at any of the BioLife Plasma Donation Centers.
According to the Austrian Blood Donation Ordinance, the frequency of donations is regulated as follows:
- once within 72 hours,
- twice within 7 days,
- three times within 14 days, and
- fifty times within 1 year.
- Immediately after the donation, the plasma will be frozen to a core temperature of -25°C. Samples from the plasma will be tested for the following in the BioLife laboratory:
- HCV Ak
After this check has been performed and approval has been given in accordance with the legal requirements, the plasma will be processed to produce vitally important medications.
All data will be handled in accordance with the strict provisions of the European Data Protection Directive. Your personal and medical data will be collected and stored to the extent legally permitted and required. If necessary to fulfill monitoring tasks according to the legal requirements, only the data required will be transferred to contracted laboratories and the facilities processing the plasma, and forwarded to the competent authorities in the form defined by law.
Plasma donation takes about one hour. If you are coming to us for the first time, please plan to be there for about another 30 minutes.
- For your first visit, we ask that you personally schedule an appointment at the Plasma Donation Center, by telephone, or by email.
- For every donation after that, you can use our online appointment planner.
- You can find a detailed description of what happens during your first donation at:
- Only a few of the components in plasma (some clotting factors) can be made by genetic engineering. The immunoglobulins required to treat many illnesses cannot be made artificially due to their complex constituents. Plasma is a unique substance, which is why every donation really does count.
A doctor will always be present in the center while you donate. This doctor also performs the examinations. Our medically trained staff will take care of you throughout your time at the Plasma Donation Center.
- Yes, free Wi-Fi is available to you at all of our BioLife Plasma Donation Centers. For details regarding access, please contact our staff at the center.