Edwin Joseph Cohn (12/17/1892–10/01/1953) was an American biochemist. He is known primarily for the development of plasma fractionation.

Blood plasma is the starting material for manufacturing plasma-derived medicinal products

HISTORY OF PLASMA DONATION CENTERS

Plasmapheresis in Austria

 

1940
Edwin J. Cohn develops a method to separate plasma into individual components that can be used to make medicines.
1953
The chemists Dr. Hans Eibl and Dr. Otto Schwarz, together with the physiologist Prof. Wilhelm Auerswald, found the first Austrian Institute for Hemoderivatives (= substances made from blood) in Vienna. The goal is to develop a plasma-based vaccine against the feared poliomyelitis. The foundations are laid for the later creation of Immuno AG
1964
Europe’s first plasma donation center is opened in Vienna.
1979
The first automated plasma donation is performed in Austria.
1995
The Graz plasma donation center is opened.
1995
The plasma donation center run by the Red Cross in Salzburg is taken over by Baxter AG.
1997
Immuno AG is taken over in its entirety by the US pharmaceutical company Baxter.
1999
The Wels plasma donation center is opened.
2002
The Innsbruck plasma donation center is opened.
2006
The Linz plasma donation center is opened.
2014
We celebrate 50 years of plasmapheresis in Europe.
2015
Baxter is split into two companies – Baxter and Baxalta. All seven plasma donation centers change their external
appearance and they become BioLife plasma donation centers from July 2015.
2016
The Irish pharmaceutical company Shire takes over Baxalta, together with its BioLife plasma donation centers.
Viewed globally, Austria ranks second to the USA as the country with the highest per capita plasma stock.
As of 2016, the seven BioLife plasma donation centers in Austria service approximately 18,700 donors, who have donated a total of 238,220 liters.